Posts for: June, 2019
How your podiatrist in Indianapolis and Carmel, IN, can help with bunion pain
Bunions don’t just look bad—they can also cause recurrent pain whenever you are putting on your shoes, walking around, or even just standing! Fortunately, there is relief from bunion pain. Your foot doctor, Dr. Jeffrey Agricola of Prestige Podiatry, offers a wide range of foot care services, including bunion treatment. With two convenient office locations in Indianapolis and Carmel, IN, Prestige Podiatry can help both you and your feet!
More about bunions
Bunions are a common foot problem, especially for women. In fact, the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons estimates that over half of the women in the United States have experienced a bunion at some time in their lives, largely because of narrow shoes and high heels.
The result of a bone deformity which forces your big toe joint to point outward, bunions are prominent, bony bumps on the side of your big toe. The unnatural bending caused by the deformity then causes friction between your toe and your shoe, leading to chronic irritation and inflammation.
If you currently have a bunion, there are some simple home remedies you can try to get some relief from the pain. Remember to:
- Place ice on your bunion several times during the day to reduce swelling
- Wear inserts, cushions, or padding in your shoes to prevent friction
- Tape the bunion to cushion and support it
- Take over-the-counter anti-inflammatory and pain medication
For bunions that aren’t relieved by home therapy, your podiatrist can help. Dr. Agricola may recommend:
- Removing corns or calluses around the bunion to reduce friction
- Physical therapy and stretching to increase flexibility
- Custom orthotics or night splints to help realign your toe
- Surgery to eliminate the bunion and realign your toe
Need relief? Give us a call!
You don’t have to suffer from bunion pain when help is just a phone call away. To find out more about bunion treatment, call Dr. Jeffrey Agricola at Prestige Podiatry! Dial (317) 881-0070 for the Indianapolis office, or (317) 846-4111 for the Carmel office. Call now to help your feet.