Going Toe-to-Toe with Toenail Fungus
January 03, 2014
Category: Toenail Fungus
Your feet get you places—you run, walk and jump. And you probably put your feet under a lot of stress because of fashion. Feet need to be pampered, but people tend to forget about foot care, until a problem arises. One of those foot issues is toenail fungus.
A fungal infection can turn the toenail yellow or white, cause buildup (thick nail) or breakdown the structure of the nail (it may crumble or split). Sometimes the entire toenail can fall off. It’s not a pretty sight, and you can’t just wish it away. Proper action and treatment needs to be taken before you see any positive results. It’s important to follow these tips, so you can take better care of your feet.
Tips to avoid toenail fungus
- Always keep your feet dry – fungi loves warm, moist areas
- Wear shower shoes whenever you visit a public shower
- Disinfect your shower if you share one with someone who has a fungal infection
- Don’t share footwear with others
- Take care of your feet when you get a cut or damage a nail—fungi can enter through these injured areas
How to treat toenail fungus
- There are different ways to treat a fungal infection. Some of these treatments include:
- Antifungal cream
- Antifungal pills
- Toenail fungus laser treatment
You should talk to your foot doctor in Indianapolis. Laser treatment is one of the best and most innovative ways to get rid of pesky fungi.
To schedule an appointment with Dr. Jeffrey Agricola, foot doctor in Indianapolis, call (317) 881-0070 or submit an appointment form via our website. Your podiatrist in Indianapolis, Dr. Agricola, is ready to laser away at your toenail fungus. Everyone deserves healthy feet and toenails.