How to Ease Your Plantar Fasciitis Symptoms
Find out how to get heel pain under control and when you should see a qualified doctor.
Dealing with heel pain? If so, then you know just how annoying and frustrating this problem can be. It can easily keep you benched from doing a lot of the physical activities you love. If symptoms are persistent or unresponsive to home care our Carmel and Indianapolis, IN, podiatrist Dr. Jeffrey Agricola can help you get back on your feet.
How do you know that you have plantar fasciitis?
Your heel pain may be caused by plantar fasciitis if,
- Your pain is worse when first standing or getting up in the morning
- Your pain decreases as you move around or exercise (but will quickly return once you stop)
- Your pain radiates from the bottom of the heel to the arches of your feet
If you do have plantar fasciitis here are some ways to ease your symptoms,
The best thing you can do if you want the inflamed plantar fascia to heal quickly is to rest. This means avoiding any exercises or activities that could exacerbate your symptoms. When seated, elevate your feet to reduce swelling. Other ways to ease symptoms include,
- Performing gentle foot stretches and exercises
- Wearing supportive footwear
- Avoiding high heels, flip flops and other shoes that won’t provide feet with ample support
Seeing a Podiatrist
It’s time to turn to our Carmel and Indianapolis, IN, foot doctor if,
- The pain isn’t responding to at-home care
- The pain is severe and you’re unable to get through your normal routine
- The pain hasn’t improved or has gotten worse, after two weeks of home care
- You notice numbness, weakness or tingling in the heel
- You have diabetes
It’s particularly important that patients with diabetes or circulation problems see a podiatrist right away if they experience heel pain or other problems. If home care isn’t providing you with the relief you need a doctor may recommend,
- An anti-inflammatory medication
- Physical therapy
- Custom orthotics (shoe inserts)
- Steroid injections
- Extracorporeal shockwave therapy (ESWT)
- Surgery (only in severe, chronic cases)
Dr. Jeffrey Agricola at Prestige Podiatry in Carmel and Indianapolis, IN, is here to provide you with the relief you need if you are dealing with persistent or severe heel pain. Call us today at to learn more. For the Carmel, IN, office, please call (317) 846-4111. For our Indianapolis, IN, location, please call (317) 881-0070.