When Foot and Ankle Surgery Becomes Necessary
Your feet and ankles work hard to support the weight of your body -- pain, if left untreated, can make their job so much harder. When your feet struggle to function, you may need surgery to overcome your discomfort. Dr. Jeffrey Agricola offers foot and ankle surgery at Prestige Podiatry located in Carmel and Indianapolis, IN.
How do I know if I need foot or ankle surgery?
- You have an accident or an injury that changes the structure of the foot or ankle
- Being born with a defect that makes it hard to walk
- Chronic pains in your foot do not go away
- The pain in your foot increases with use or time
- Orthotics, medications, and other non-surgical interventions do not work or have stopped working
- Inability to fit shoes correctly
- You’ve lost the ability to walk properly
Many common conditions that may require surgery include:
- Heel, ankle, and toe spurs
- Extensive misalignment of the ankle
- Ankle replacement
- Torn tendons and ligaments
- Broken bones
Osteoarthritis is a painful syndrome that is characterized by erosion of the cartilage in between the bones. Sometimes the erosion is too much, and the bones begin to rub together, causing long-lasting pain. A person in this situation may need surgery.
An outpatient procedure can correct many of these ailments, which means no lengthy hospital stays. After receiving treatment, your doctor will assist you with your therapy plan so that you can regain the full function of your foot. It is important not to rush into high impact activities during your healing process.
If you have attempted to manage your foot pain without success, contact Dr. Agricola at Prestige Podiatry in Carmel, IN, at (317) 846-4111 or Indianapolis, IN at (317) 881-0070.