Posts for tag: Sports Injuries
Playing a sport is fun, healthy, and keeps you physically fit, but it also comes with its downsides, including unexpected injuries. The US Department of Health and Human Services conducted a survey that found there are about 8.6 million injuries related to athletics or recreation each year. A good portion of those cases are injuries to the feet and ankles. Get familiar with the common sports injuries and how they can be treated by podiatrist Dr. Jeffrey Agricola at Prestige Podiatry in Carmel, IN and Indianapolis, IN.
Common Foot-Related Sports Injuries
Almost every sport requires continuous use of the feet and ankles, from basketball to hockey to boxing. A wide array of potential foot injuries are possible, including:
- Ankle fractures and sprains or strains.
- Stress fractures.
- Achilles tendonitis.
- Plantar fasciitis and heel spur syndrome (causes heel pain).
- Neuromas (thickened nerve tissues).
When to Seek Help for a Sports Injury
Some sports players try to “play through their pain”, hoping that the injury will go away or heal on its own, but that is not a wise course of action in the long-term. In many cases, the injury will get worse the more you continue to participate in athletics without seeing our Carmel and Indianapolis, IN foot doctor for therapy. Consult a podiatrist at the first sign of pain, weakness, or instability in the foot. In some cases, simply wrapping the foot or wearing an orthotic device could be the solution. In other cases, you may need a more aggressive treatment like surgery to treat your issue.
Sports Injury Prevention Tips
Though some injuries can’t be avoided, there are preventative actions you can take to reduce the chance of seriously hurting your feet. Here are a few tips to follow:
- Check your footwear to ensure that you are wearing the proper types of sneakers or cleats.
- Learn and practice foot stretching techniques before participating in sports.
- Know the RICE technique (rest, ice, compression, and elevation of the feet when there’s foot pain) and don’t hesitate to schedule a followup appointment with your podiatrist when needed.
Call for Help with Your Injury
It’s always a good idea to seek advice and treatment from a podiatrist after a sports injury. Call today to schedule a visit with podiatrist Dr. Jeffrey Agricola at Prestige Podiatry in Carmel, IN and Indianapolis, IN. Call 317-846-4111- Carmel, IN; 317-881-0070- Indianapolis, IN.